Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Indicators & U-turns

Having done a little bit of motorway driving on our trip to Lahore, and being a passenger on some of the more unruly roads, I have now learned a new exciting aspect of Pakistani driving; namely, the use of indicators.

Scenario: you are driving along the main road in a town. (It is a dual carriageway, with a wall in between. Periodically there are gaps in the wall to allow traffic access to side streets on the opposite side, or for making a U-turn. Making a U-turn is something one does a lot here.  U-turn is your friend.) Ahead of you is a vehicle in the nearside lane - on the left - but indicating right. What could this mean?

Here are a few of the possible alternatives:
  • I intend to move into the right-hand lane.
  • I intend to make a U-turn.  We like U-turns.
  • I intend to overtake something.
  • I'm letting you overtake me on the right.
  • I'm letting you overtake me on the right, but once you've started to overtake me I'll have a change of heart and decide I want to go right after all.  I hope your horn's working.
  • My lights have some unorthodox wiring and those are actually my brake lights.  The blue ones are my indicators.
  • I actually intend to turn left - signals are for wusses.
  • Some of the above.
  • All of the above.
  • None of the above.

3 comments:

LA said...

so its a bit like driving in aberdeen then?

Jo said...

Similar, only fewer Imprezas and more little Suzuki vans, donkey carts, painted trucks and random herds of animals!

Luca said...

Well, round here I find that lots of people don't bother using indicators at all ... I wonder which is the best really ;-)