Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chocolate Caramel Disaster

One of my favourite sweet treats is millionaire’s shortbread (also known as chocolate caramel shortbread). There’s something about that combination of biscuit, soft caramel and a good thick layer of chocolate (preferably dark) that is just sublime.

So, I’ve been trying to make it.

Attempt 1
I’m not sure what exactly went wrong but I suspect that it may have something to do with the inability of our gas stove to do a low heat. The recipe said to boil up the sugar, condensed milk and butter for 5 minutes, but after this amount of time my caramel layer turned out to be filling-extractingly solid. It was edible, but hard work on the jaw.
















Attempt 2
So then I tried a different method for my caramel, the boil-a-tin-of-condensed-milk-in-a-pressure-cooker-for-30-minutes method. This time the caramel has turned out so soft you need a spoon to eat it with. Again it’s edible, but somehow not quite right.

So, any tips or recipe suggestions for attempt 3 gratefully received....

1 comment:

Gavin said...

Cook for longer in the pressure cooker? Or reinforce Attempt 2 with carbon nanotube strings?